Sunday, March 8, 2015

Art In The School on Ocracoke..... The Students and Their Creations

Today I'll begin to attempt to explain the scope of my experience of teaching on Ocracoke Island as a visiting artist in Ocracoke Alive's partnership with the school.  It's been overwhelming in the best possible way!  It's hard to know where to start, so I'll begin today at the heart of it all with The Students and Their Creations.  


While I was on Ocracoke, I was asked to work with students in 4th through 8th grade; home school students of all ages were also included.  To say that these young folks are amazing would be an understatement.  They were enthusiastic, well behaved, funny, and engaging.  Without exception, I enjoyed my time with each and every one of them.

It was interesting to watch the manner in which they approached their projects.  Some dove right in with reckless abandon; others were more thoughtful in planning their creations.  With only forty-five minutes per class, including travel time, we added additional after school sessions for all who were interested in attending.

The pictures that follow will share my time with them in a manner that words can't possibly express.  
Students at Work

 









Their Creations









Artists With Their Creations












*****************************************************************************************

So many folks contributed to the success of my time on Ocracoke, and I'm grateful to each and every one of you!  Names aren't being named here, because I'm afraid that I'll miss someone.  Instead, I hope that you know who you are, and that you'll accept an extra hug around your neck as an expression of my gratitude the next time we meet.  



To read more about how I learned about this opportunity, the Ocracoke Community, and our Retreats on Ocracoke, please visit our ReMe Retreats Website by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment