Monday, November 18, 2013

Ocracoke Treasures, Peace, and Thanks to Linda D.

"Ocracoke Treasures"
"Magical" isn't a word that I use lightly, and it's interesting how frequently my time on Ocracoke Island is described in exactly that way.  Our last trip there in October felt long overdue.  Life at home was stressful, and we were anticipating our visit with even more enthusiasm than usual.

On the day of our departure, we left home at 2:00 in the morning so that we were sure to arrive at The Cedar Island Ferry in plenty of time for the first crossing of the day.  Tired and happy, we landed on Ocracoke a few hours before our rental home was ready.  Ken indulged me in my need to immediately feel the sand between my toes, and I indulged him in his need for a nap.  

While he was snoozing in the truck, I made a beeline for the Pony Pen Beach.  It was just what the doctor ordered!  It was a perfect breezy fall afternoon.  With the sun on my face, I walked in solitude in the surf for about twenty five minutes before beginning my return trip. 

Because I'm not truly happy on the beach until my pockets are overflowing and my hands are filled to capacity, I picked up oodles of treasures along the way.  Then, just when I thought that I couldn't squeeze one more morsel into my collection, I spied a flash of color on a piece of driftwood that I'd passed earlier.

"...and let it begin with me..."
Imagine my surprise when I drew closer and found these.  I quickly realized that they were even more precious than I'd imagined.  "Peace" was exactly what I was seeking on Ocracoke, and to find such a physical manifestation of it within hours of my arrival can be defined as nothing short of Magical.

Thank you, Linda D. for sharing your talents in such a generous and selfless way! Your gift touched my heart, and I hope that your time on Ocracoke was every bit as Magical as ours.  (If you happen to be reading this, Linda D., please let me know. I would love to be able to thank you more personally.)

No comments:

Post a Comment