Friday, January 3, 2014

Words of Wisdom From a Vintage Tea Towel

Everything in moderation.
Even tea towels!
Hi.  My name is Jean, and I'm addicted to vintage tea towels.  No brand new terry cloth for me!  I'll choose a brightly colored printed flour sack towel or a lovingly hand embroidered one every time.  And don't even get me started on my fondness for towel sets! 
 
Years ago, my collection began with like-new beauties that were given to me by my Mother.  She'd had them for years, and she kept them safely tucked away in her cedar chest or in the buffet in our dining room.  Some she made herself, in anticipation of being married one day.  Others were shower gifts.  Interestingly, I don't remember actually seeing any of these towels in our kitchen.  I do remember gathering them around me occasionally on a rainy afternoon and marveling at them.  I use these towels every day now; it's my way of honoring them.

Stay hydrated.
 
Since acquiring my family heirlooms, I've slowly added to my collection.  Garage sales, flea markets, and thrift stores are my regular haunts, and my heart skips a beat when I spot one across the room.  Through the years, friends and family have also generously contributed to my habit, with one of my most unexpected additions being a colorful days-of-the-week set that arrived in the mail from my cousin, Sharon . 
 

Man cannot live by bread alone.

My friend, Theresa, covets her towels for the noble purpose of making homemade pierogies.  (It's the way her Grandmother made them too.)  And recently I learned that my artsy friends Amy Smith and Jodi Ohl share my love of linens.
 
The images here are all a part of a beauty that Amy gave me last year.  It was a "just because" kind of surprise, and it even had its original tag.  As we begin the new year, it hangs on the front of my stove and serves as a reminder to make one positive decision at a time on the road to good health.   Thank you again, Amy! 



Danger Ahead!
Make a good decision.

Everything tastes better with
a cherry on top.



 

 
Say cheese!
One ounce at a time.
Mushrooms are an excellent choice!
Especially when they're
sauteed in butter.  ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment