Thursday, October 14, 2010

Form Folding... Before and After

This week during my class time with Erica Stankwytch Bailey, we worked on form folding. This technique provides metalsmiths with a way to move and mold metal into a fluid and dynamic form. The first photo below is where I began. Flat pieces of raw copper, with a basic fold or two in them.


The photos that follow are the results of my creative play. The first piece is flat and industrial, and I love the rawness and strength that it conveys. The other photos are my early attempts at leaves. I'm pleased with the work itself, and the colors are amazing in person!

Even if I'd tried, I don't think that I could have achieved a more
lip-like form on this final piece.
Move over Mick Jagger! Your lips have nothing on this one! :-)

Erica is a wonderful teacher. I've learned so much from her, and she's also formalized some techniques that were self-taught for me until I began studying with her. If you're in the Raleigh area, Erica will have an exhibit at Pullen Art Center throughout the month of October. Her featured pieces were inspired by her retreat to The Grand Canyon. Her work is incredible, and you can read and see more about it here.

4 comments:

  1. love, Love, LOVE! ...on what magical tree do 'lip leaves' grow? These pieces are all lovely, and I look forward to seeing how you incorporate this new knowledge into future works ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Penny! I love that I'm learning the "right" way to do things, and it's providing me with the freedom of when and how to use these techniques in combination with my previous self-taught-ways.

    This process is removing some of the boundaries that I used to encounter when trying to translate the ideas that fill my mind. It's also providing me with even more new and wonderful ideas that I haven't even begun to process. In typical Jean Skipper fashion, my ideas still outnumber my time. Whatever the future holds creatively, it's going to be a wild ride, and I'm thrilled to be able to share it with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Jean, so glad this class is opening up your work into new directions. That's always fun and energizing! Looking forward to seeing you blossom even more than you already have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean- You are so kind. Love having you in the class too! See you tonight.

    ReplyDelete