Thursday, August 13, 2009

Strange Beauty

Since becoming the owner of Artist Alley, in each of the past three summers, a particular animal or insect has played a unusual role in my life.

First it was the grasshopper that spent the best part of the year both inside and outside of the gallery. We knew that it was him because one antenae was longer than the other.

Last year we were inundated by hummingbirds. Our solution was to place a feeder in front of the business, and they've been with us ever since.

This year seems to be the year of the most beautiful garden writing spiders. We've been watching two of them all summer long. If I happened upon them unexpectedly, I'm sure that they'd probably scare the bejeebers out of me. Instead, I've become truly fascinated by them and their habits. One has even created an egg sac that's about the size of a ripe fig. From what I understand Spring should bring even more of the little beauties to our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment